In 1986 the York Society members embarked on an ambitious project to relocate the old Tipperary schoolhouse from Tipperary Farm, eight kilometres north of York. The schoolhouse was one of the very few remaining single-teacher schoolhouses in the district and was in danger of crumbling away due to years of disuse and weathering.
The schoolhouse was dismantled brick by brick and brought in to York and re-erected at the Sandalwood Yards in Avon Terrace. Much of the work was carried out by dedicated volunteers and members of the Society.
Today the schoolhouse has been refurbished as a 'school museum'.
Appointments to view the school can be made through the York Visitor Centre email@example.com by telephoning (08) 9641 1301.