Sandalwood was one of the early Colony’s major exports, and hundreds of cutters made a living bush felling the wood which was brought to this yard. It was stacked upright in the open to dry and then carted to Fremantle to be shipped overseas. As local resources were exhausted the felling moved eastwards and by 1896 the trade had moved to Kalgoorlie. The yard was taken over by Millar’s Timber & Trading Company and used to store jarrah and other building materials. The Sandalwood Yards is now home to the York Society.